Monday, June 6, 2011

IT'S ALMOST TIME

Here is a picture of the chicken coop framed up. My husband brought home a 4x8 crate that he used for the top and bottom. Then some used boards to frame up the sides and back. He added a piece of used plywood for the floor.

He then added this" used to be" kitchen cabinet that was given to us. All he had to do to it was cut off part of the side to make the nesting boxes. He later put two boards across the bottom of the sections and to the inside to keep the nesting materials in place. Each individual box will be 12X12. This worked out great. Thanks to our neighbor Terry.

This is how the coop looked a couple of weekends later. We added used plywood to the the sides. Pallet boards will be added later. Of course I had to have a window so I can peek in at them. The door was given to us by our neighbor. You can tell it's really old. It fit perfect. We then added the small pallet boards to each side of the door. Looking better with each additional step.










2 comments:

  1. neat ideas!!! My husband and I are looking for a farm site in the area and this will be my first step too---I cant wait to have my own chickens! What breeds do you have and like the most? :) Love the look of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Heather.I hope you find a farm site soon. We have 3 1/2 acres and I'm starting out with chickens. The two I have now are leghorns I believe. They are good layers. I want to get a few more soon, probably some bantams, they are a smaller breed. I also like the look of the Barred Plymouth Rock and Dominique but they are larger. I need to find out if the smaller breeds will do okay with the larger. I'm very new at this. We're going to try to get our fencing completed today. Thank you for your kind words. Please drop by anytime.

    ReplyDelete