Wednesday, June 29, 2011

SURPRISE ARRIVALS

My husband called me this past Thursday night while I was on my way home from work. He said Timmy just brought two chickens, that was at 8:45 p.m. Well I knew we wasn't prepared for them yet because we still had to do the fencing around the hen house. Then I realized we had no food for them. I asked if they were chicks, he said he hadn't opened the box to look.
He calls me back to tell me it's a hen and a rooster and they're not small. So I figured I could find them something to eat the next morning. When I arrived home he had them in a huge dog carrier with straw in it on the back porch. I was relieved for a while.
Here I've been wanting them for a long time and when they arrive I get nervous. Actually the neighbor had told us he'd bring some little chicks as soon as he could get them away from the Mother. Once we received grown one's it made me a little anxious since I didn't know how they would take to us.
I don't know how I got her picture on here twice so I just made it smaller. I need some training on how to delete pictures.

Guess who woke us up the next morning? Our dog Chopper. Want to know why? He heard a unusual sound coming from the back porch. It was a little after 5a.m. and it's time for the rooster to crow. The dog wouldn't stop barking and my husband had to get up. A few minutes later I'm up and my 2 1/2 year old grandson. I prepare breakfast and we decide to unwrap some of the fencing to make a temp home for the new couple.
They did great throughout the day and a little before 11 o'clock we had our first egg. Me and my grandson went to see them many times. He would get excited when the rooster would crow. I think I'm going to like having chickens around.

No comments:

Post a Comment