Thursday, June 30, 2011

GETTING ADJUSTED TO NEW HOME

Here's our rigged up temporary fencing. Since we had to have a "quick fix" for our new unexpected couple, this is what we ended up with. For right now we're leaving them in the coop during the day while we're at work. As soon as my husband gets home he let's them out. The day's I'm off they have more time outside. So far we're had no problems. I do believe we need to get the overhead netting or chicken wire to protect them as much as possible.
This is the other side of the coop. They only have a small area now. We ran into serious problems hitting rock when we started placing the fence posts. As you can see there's one we couldn't get in far enough, but it will have to do for now. We are going to have to change the raise up doors on the side here. We made them out of thin plywood and they are already warping.
The two get along well together but they're still a little apprehensive with us. I touched Pearl for the first time tonight while she was on her roost. She moved away from me and got in the nesting box but hopefully in time she'll come around. I didn't even try to touch Pop, he stayed on his perch as the hen climbed across him. I'll approach him slowly.
Here's Pearl and Pop checking out the nesting boxes. He's been in there almost as much as she has. She has laid an egg every day but two. The second day the egg was broken, I'm not sure if she's doing it or him.


Is this not a handsome rooster? He's my first one and I'm proud of him! I like to hear him crow. When my grandson comes to visit and he hears him after the first time he'll say " he's doing it again" and laugh.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is the first coop I've seen that didn't have a way for the chickens to come and go unless it is around back. This is also the first coop that I've seen that didn't have cross ventilation, how's this working out for you?
    Oh one other thing, I don't know much about chickens but what are you trying to raise here chickens or eggs? From a webcast that I listened to a week or so ago if it's eggs you are going for you don't want a rooster around! If you are wanting to breed than that's a different thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie said...

    Greg, we still have to cut out a special door for the chickens to come in out. Right now they use the large door in the front. It was our intention to do this before we got the chickens but when my neighbor dropped off the the hen and rooster we've had to make do with what we have for now.
    This is my first experience with chickens so I'm learning as I go. What do you mean about cross ventilation?
    I want chickens for eggs, but to also have a few chicks since I'm just starting out.
    Thank you so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One side of the coop has the windows with the screening and the adjustable flap doors. The other side of the coop has that single window with the flower box that doesn't look like it can be opened. If you could open it you would have cross ventilation. Maybe you have windows in the back that we can't see!

    ReplyDelete